How Do I Keep My Drains Clean?
Clearing out a clogged drain can be time consuming and sometimes costly process. The best solution for a clogged drain is to prevent a clog from happening in the first place. Performing regular maintenance and keeping your household drains in top shape with a few tried and true methods can help avoid costly repairs. EVERYDAYPLUMBER.com has a few plumbing tips below to help you keep your bathtub plumbing and kitchen plumbing free of drain clogs. If at any time you have concerns about the health of you drains and sewer line, call EVERYDAYPLUMBER.com @ 813-872-0200 or 727-362-5500. You can also submit a plumbing & drain cleaning request on our website and we will get a plumber to you within 24 hours. Our plumbers have decades of experience and the drain cleaning tools to get your home or business up and running quickly at a price you can afford.
Preventing Clogged Drains | Tampa Plumbing Tips
- Use strainers in all your plumbing drains to catch hair and other foreign objects from going down the drain. It is easier, and cheaper to clear out a strainer once every few days than to have plumber clean your drain every six.
- Do not let small pieces of soap go down the drain. Do not assume that soap will dissolve and wash away. Soap buildups occur from allowing small or large pieces of soap to slip down the drain.
- Once a month, pour boiling water down the drain. This will melt any grease or body oil and wash it down the drain before it can cause a clogged drain. Do not use this process in a toilet. The heat from the boiling water interacting with the cold water in a toilet can crack the porcelain.
- Do not flush anything other than toilet paper down the drain. Flushing cotton balls, Q-tips, cigarette butts, band-aids, dental floss, and condoms can lead to toilet back-ups. Many people think products such as sanitary wipes and feminine products labeled “flushable” are safe to flush, but they are not. “Flushable” products are one of the leading causes of drain clogs. This is not only a household problem, but has become an issue for municipal facilities experiencing costly sewer clogs.
- If you have a garbage disposal, do not put meat products, celery or similar vegetables, egg shells, or pour grease in the disposal. These items are not easily broken up and are sure to cause a kitchen sink clog in the future.
- Every three months, pour a half cup of baking soda in the drain then slowly add a half cup of vinegar. Let the mixture sit in the drain for a few minutes. Then rinse the mixture away by running lots of hot water down the drain. This process will not only keep your drains free running, it will keep them smelling clean as well.
If you are in need of professional drain cleaning in the Tampa Bay area, our expertly trained Tampa plumbers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. EVERYDAYPLUMBER.com services all of Hillsborough, Pasco, and Pinellas counties. We look forward to assisting you with your plumbing repair needs and welcoming you to our plumbing family.
Remember: “Any Day You Need Us, Every Day We’re There!